I'm only showing you a small amount of what I really have. Many are in my drawers.
I began by taking everything out of the drawers and sorting it into my plastic baskets.. I had multiples of the same item in several drawers.
As I sorted it became clear to me that I did not need the 20 something boxes of #2 pencils. I teach kindergarten and we use the big pencils. I also didn't need the overhead projector bulbs I had been hoarding- I now have an Elmo. Quickly the baskets were filling up with like items. I also had a larger basket for items I no longer needed like the projector bulbs. Once everything was sorted into the baskets, I started arranging them in the drawers. The items I would need most often like glue sticks were placed near the front of the drawers I made it so the baskets didn't have much room to shift about. I think once I'm happy with this I will use velcro to hold them in place.
I had some leftover items from the drawers that I was able to place in the cupboard above. It has been three weeks and so far so good.Now it is your turn.
- Look around for classroom for those unused plastic baskets.
- Pick one set of drawers to reorganize.
- Make a box for things to put back in the supply room and another box for things to give away
- Pull the trash can over
- Pull everything out and start sorting.
- Once it is all sorted go through it and ask yourself, "do I really need 12 boxes of staples or 5 boxes of binder rings"
- Don't forget to check the ink in those pens- no use keeping them if they don't work.
- Now put the basket in the drawers and arrange them. You may need to do it a few times to make everything just so.
- Get rid of the stuff from steps 3.
- Post a picture to show us your hard work.